When doing search engine optimization you have to have a good understanding of your target audience.
Once you understand how the average searcher and more specifically your target audience uses the search engines you can more effectively reach those users.
Search engines have changed over the years but the process of doing a search remains the same.
The process of doing a search is pretty simple:
- Someone experiences a need for an answer, solution, or piece of information.
- They form this into a 1 to 3 word sentence or question.
- They check the results if they do not see what they are looking for they redefine their search and repeat steps 2 and 3.
You need a guy on your team that knows:
- 25.8% of people search with one word.
- 22.8% of people search with two words.
- 18.7% of people search with three words.
- 13.2% of people search with four words.
- 19.5% of people search with five or more words.
At the end of the day if the search engines do their job correctly, it translates into a wonderful experience for the end user, the search engine and the website receiving the web visitor.